Application deadline: 11:59 pm, Friday, Dec. 6, 2019. Interviews offered on rolling basis. Click to download the PDF version of this posting.
Are you a practicing lawyer passionate about gender equality and gender justice? Are you interested in working collaboratively to achieve systemic change? We’re looking for you!
About West Coast LEAF
West Coast LEAF is a BC-based non-profit organization dedicated to using the law as a tool to secure an equal and just society for all women and people who experience gender-based discrimination. We were founded in 1985 by a group of lawyers and legal academics who saw potential in the equality guarantees enshrined in Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms as a means to secure substantive equality.
At West Coast LEAF, we recognize that gender-based inequalities threaten the safety, well-being and human rights not only of cis women, but also of Two-Spirit people, intersex people, gender non-conforming people, trans people of all genders and people with non-binary gender identities. We are committed to an inclusive and intersectional vision of feminism.
Our office is located in Vancouver on traditional, ancestral, and unceded Coast Salish homelands, including the lands of the xwməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. We recognize that we have an ongoing responsibility to seek transformation in our relationships with Indigenous peoples and land.
Learn more about West Coast LEAF at www.westcoastleaf.org.
West Coast LEAF is hiring for a Director of Litigation. This is a permanent full-time position based at our office in Vancouver. The Director of Litigation reports directly to the Executive Director and is a key member of the program team at West Coast LEAF. They are responsible for identifying strategic directions and demonstrating leadership in the use of litigation strategies to work toward achieving the overall goals of the organization. The Director of Litigation works closely with all staff, but shares responsibility for cross-program collaboration with the Director of Law Reform, Manager of Public Legal Education, Manager of Community Outreach, the Director of Development & Engagement, and the Executive Director.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Providing input into strategic decisions, organizational directions and policy positions;
- Independently managing the overall litigation portfolio of the organization, with appropriate consultation and collaboration with the Executive Director and other staff;
- Monitoring developments related to West Coast LEAF’s priority legal and policy issues and identifying opportunities for work across West Coast LEAF’s litigation, law reform, and public legal education tools;
- Working with members of the communications and engagement team on initiatives aimed at engaging West Coast LEAF supporters, providing support to community organization with whom we partner, and promoting the work of the organization through media inquiries and preparing content for West Coast LEAF’s blog and other engagement initiatives;
- Working with the Director of Development and Engagement and other staff to develop and write funding proposals and reports; and
- Co-leading recruitment, training and supervision of new legal staff, when hiring happens, as well as recruiting and supervising articling students, law student interns and consultants from time to time.
Minimum qualifications include:
- A law degree (call to the bar in BC or eligibility for admission to the Law Society of British Columbia);
- Recent litigation experience, including familiarity with civil procedure, the law of evidence and/or constitutional law and administrative law;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Excellence in legal research and writing;
- Familiarity with issues related to gender-based equity and access to justice;
- Project management skills; and
- Initiative, flexibility, collegiality, and a passion for human rights and social justice.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have experience engaging in strategic litigation through a feminist lens;
- Be fluent in French, with other languages an asset;
- Be familiar with, and interested in pursuing, strategies for legal advocacy beyond and outside the courtroom;
- Have at least five years of relevant litigation experience; and
- Be an experienced public speaker, presenter and educator.
Salary and Benefits
West Coast LEAF seeks highly-qualified applicants and offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in addition to a generous benefits and vacation package. The salary for this position ranges from $85,000 to $95,000.
Please apply by emailing a cover letter, your resume and a brief writing sample to email@example.com. Applications must be received no later than Friday, December 6, 2019 at 11:59 pm. Please direct your application to the attention of: Raji Mangat, Executive Director, and use the reference “Director of Litigation” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We will be reviewing applications and offering interviews on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
West Coast LEAF is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including members of communities that have historically been underrepresented in the legal profession.