Are you passionate about gender equality and social justice? Would you like to contribute to the success of a large-scale fundraising event? Are you interested in gaining work experience in the non-profit sector?
West Coast LEAF is looking for volunteers to help with the organization of the 2023 Equality Breakfast!
This is our biggest fundraiser of the year and raises essential funds to support our work. It’s the largest legal gathering in BC, and is a beloved, long-running event. After shifting to a virtual event for the past couple of years due to the pandemic, we would be thrilled to have your support in bringing this event back in person, better than ever!
4 hours/week between January and mid-March 2023, including assistance in the (early!) morning of Wednesday, March 8th, the day of our Equality Breakfast!
There is the option to join us remotely for the duration of this position, but we would encourage you to come to our downtown office to work with us more directly. You will need to join us in person for the event itself on March 8th, 2023 at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.
This volunteer position reports directly to our smaller team of Breakfast event associates but will also work closely with the Breakfast Committee, which is composed of several other staff members from the West Coast LEAF engagement and operations teams.
- Work with our two event associates to develop a list of businesses, artists, and artisans who may be interested in donating items or services to the silent auction
- Contact local businesses and other prospective silent auction donors to request donations
- Assist the event associates with picking up donations
- Assist the event associates with setting up our online silent auction platform, Givergy
- Assist event attendees with any questions about the silent auction during the event
- Assist with delivering or mailing silent auction items to winners following the event
- Help with recruiting additional volunteers to assist on the day of the event
- Help train and orient day-of volunteers
- Supervise a team of day-of volunteers to facilitate donations from guests, bids on the silent auction, and helping guests find their seats
- Support the engagement team with creating social media content to promote the event
- Prepare appealing photos/imagery of silent auction items
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Comfortable with using platforms like Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Asana, Microsoft Office Suite, and Google Docs
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- A self-starter with initiative, enthusiasm, creativity, and attention to detail
- Previous event and marketing experience would be an asset
- Graphic design and social media skills would be an asset
- Experience coordinating volunteers would be an asset
Benefits of getting involved
Through supporting the Equality Breakfast, you will contribute to advancing gender equality and human rights in BC. This is also a great opportunity to develop your skills in event planning, communications, volunteer management, fundraising, and more!
You’ll be able to attend an unforgettable event with an amazing keynote speaker. This year we’ll be joined by acclaimed race, gender, and law scholar Dorothy Roberts. Dorothy’s scholarship and advocacy have been a vital inspiration in our work to transform the family policing system, also known as the child welfare system.
You’ll have the opportunity to meet and work with West Coast LEAF staff and find out more about what it’s like to work at a legal nonprofit. If you’re interested in a career in law, social justice or the non-profit sector we’d love to hear any questions you might have.
We would be happy to provide you with a reference letter upon successful completion of the volunteer placement (upon request).
Submit your resume and cover letter as soon as possible to Basya Laye, director of development and engagement, at email@example.com.
In your application, please include the following information:
- What days of the week you are available
- When you can start
- Where you saw this posting
Thanks for your interest in contributing your time and talent to West Coast LEAF! We couldn’t do our work without the support of our amazing volunteers.